Sunday 23 October 2016

Roasted Beet Hummus

"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves." 
-Andre Gide


Hi Guys, Hope you had a great weekend. 

 The only negative thing that happened to me when I became vegan is, I became anemic. Anemia is when you have an unusually low supply of red blood cells in your body, sometimes caused by iron deficiency. 

Although I do take a iron supplement every night I try to get as much iron as possible from the food I eat. The common misconception is that iron only comes from red meat but that just isn't true. You can get it from soybeans, spinach, lentils, tofu, nuts, pumpkin seeds, and more. But... just today I found out chickpeas are super rich in iron so obviously the first thing I do is make a hummus. 


This hummus is really easy and tastes amazing with tons of flavour (secret ingredient is the apple cider vinegar) 

What are your favourite chickpea recipes?

Roasted Beet Hummus 

Ingredients 
2 medium sized beets
1 19 oz can of chickpeas (drained)
2 Tbsp olive oil 
2 Tbsp lemon juice 
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp tahini 
1 Tsp salt 
1 clove garlic 

Instructions
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
Wrap whole beets in tinfoil and put into oven for an hour 
Take beets out of oven and let cool before cutting off the peels 
Blend all ingredients including the beets in a blender on high speed 
Spread on toast and sprinkle with hemp seeds or dip your favourite vegetables in the dip 
Enjoy 


No comments:

Post a Comment